Welcome to the Barnabas Papers

Words that build, words that strengthen,
Words that challenge, words that inspire,
Words to transform, words of promise,
Words of peace, words of joy,
Words of life. Words of wonder.
Words of power.
Words are power.
Use yours well.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The Reality of Dreams


I was talking to my younger brother earlier this morning. And I'm thinking, we live in this other world of comic books and movies and ... huge unbelievable dreams. We are artists, we've been drawing comic books since we were kids. Making up stories, characters, worlds in our minds, then immortalising them, heroes and villains alike on paper. To create them you have to believe in the impossible, you have to be able to see the invisible, hear something that no one else can hear. And now I come to this place, today where I am ... hungry again. I'm hungry to be around other people, who see beyond what we see now, who believe in something beyond themselves. Who see through impossible eyes, believe in the impossible, and dream dreams not normal, not of the usual ilk of this land in which we live.

The reality of dreams is that some are just dreams, things of the mind, of little substance. But then the reality of dreams is that there are those that are meant to be pursued. You've gotta believe in them. Joseph, son of Jacob had a dream. He dreamt that the sun and the moon and the stars all bowed down to him. You laugh. But that is the reality of dreams. A great man once said, if your dream doesn't scare you then it isn't big enough. Well I'll tell you, I am totally freaked out. if it wasn't for God I would have gone mad already. But God, the God of the impossible, the reality of His existence and presence in my life, gives me the hope that ... our dreams are worth having, that, if this infinite God can make Himself known to finite lil' ole me, if the mortal can touch the divine -- if all this can be so, and it is, then there is hope yet for my incredible, my -- powerfully unbelievable, totally -- insanely crazy dreams. There is hope yet.

I am a woman of dreams
On the edge of my horizon my glory gleams
Blinds me with its light
Yet still I'll fight
Until dream meets reality.

I am a woman of great words
My words are strong and sharp as swords
My dreams within my grasp
Can't wait until I clasp
My dream turned reality.

And when I sleep -- promise whispers
You'll reach the horizon yet
Don't fret my sweet
And this raging thirst within me
soothes me says
We'll make tables of the mountains
Of the rivers we'll make fountains
When our dreams turn to reality.

- ChiChi Chiweshe


"Then the LORD answered me and said,

"Write the vision and and engrave it so plainly upon tablets,
That everyone who passes may [be able] to read [it easily and quickly] as he hastens by.
For the vision is yet for an appointed time and it hastens to the end [fulfillment];
it will not deceive or disappoint. Though it tarry, wait [earnestly] for it,
because it will surely come, it will not be behindhand on its appointed day."

-- Habakkuk 2:2-3 (AMP)



God bless!

No comments: